I want to see lots of layers, lots of panels and/or lots of elements on your shabby chic or vintage project, BUT they must be raised up! Whether you choose to use pop dots, foam squares, silicone glue or another means of support, make sure they stand tall!
So, this theme got me thinking about how I could create layers and also height ! Then I spotted my stash of cardboard, perfect ! To start with I used Grunge Paste through the Tim Holtz Flourish stencil and applied it to opposite corners.
I gave the canvas a wash of watered down acrylic paint and also did a little stencilling. When the Grunge Paste had dried I lightly sanded it to make it look a little shabby.
Now, I meant to take more step by step photos but got carried away so bear with me ! I cut two pieces of cardboard and ripped a little of the surface away.
I gave the pieces of carboard a wash of acrylic paint and on the larger piece I used some more Grunge Paste through a TCW stencil and also through the Wendy Vecchi Alphabets stencil. I stamped the butterflies from the Tim Holtz Papillon set and the Wendy Vecchi Script background stamp onto some tissue paper and glued it to the smaller piece of cardboard. I gave it a coat of Glue 'n' Seal to protect it from the watered down acrylic paint.
I cut out two tags from carboard and these are what are creating the height sandwiched between the two larger pieces.
I painted the tags with a darker blue acrylic paint then added a coat of Crackle Glaze and dabbed on a lighter colour using Cut 'n' Dry foam. All of the embellishments have been painted with acrylic paint and I've rubbed a little Treasure Gold over them too.
The little lacey buttons are from my stash and are part of a gift of buttons from my very lovely crafty friend Ruth. The key and little dragonfly are from The Funkie Junkie Boutique and have also been painted with acrylic paint.
In the above photo you can see the sanded back Grunge Paste through the Flourish stencil. The large bird cage is by Kaisercraft and I've painted it with acrylic paint then lightly rubbed some Treasure Gold over parts of it, I had the idea of a gilded cage in mind.
I covered some white card with some sticky back canvas that I found in a cheap craft store, then die cut a flower using the Tattered Florals die. I then dabbed some paint onto a material Prima flower and layered it on top and then added the metal flower as the last layer. I've used a WordBand that I've also dabbed with acrylic paint and added a string of small pearls.
I hope you get chance to join us for this challenge and make sure you hop over to Frilly and Funkie to see the fabulous projects from the rest of the DT.