Hello and welcome ! We're kicking off the new challenge for Stamps and Stencils today and the lovely Autumn has chosen Technique School ! Here's what Autumn has to say:
This month we want you to play teacher and share a favorite process or
new experiment. Document your findings with at least one process photo.
We can't wait to see your technique tutorials and new ideas! Remember
to use stamps or stencils or both!
There are so many techniques to choose from, some old favourites, some that still need to be explored and some that have been dabbled with. I've had my Infusions for quite a while now and not done a lot with them so these fall in to the dabbled with category and these are what I chose to dabble with some more ! It's been a busy few months for me and one of the things that have been taking up my time is making curtains. The upside from this is that there are always left over pieces of fabric, and more specifically lining fabric. This all started with I wonder what happens if ........
Initially I cut 2 pieces of curtain lining fabric to roughly 20cm by 10cm, at this stage it was an experiment and so the size wasn't part of the plan.
The fabric was sprtized with water then I placed a skeleton leaf on the left hand side and sprinkled Infusions over the top and spritzed again. Then folded the right side over the top to make a leaf sandwich. I applied some pressure to make sure the Infusions had made good contact with the fabric then opened it out ....
The result isn't a 'wow' but the faint outline of the leaf on the right hand side I just loved !
The results did vary and above you can see the comparison between the first and second attempts.
However the third attempt really did give a good result. As I sat looking at the little pieces of fabric, and noticing the crease down the centre of all the panels a fabric book came to mind.
I've had Lin Brown's new stamps for a while too and as they are leafy themed they made the perfect match to add some stamping to the fabric. I've used Watering Can Archival ink, heat setting it after stamping.
Apologies, I have no more step x step photos as the process took over ! The above is the finished fabric book.The little piece of lace is some that I tea dyed ages ago and then didn't use and the little skeleton leaf I found in my stash. The panels have all been sewn together with a zig zag stitch on my sewing machine and I've hand sewn some little beads too. The sentiment is from one of Lin Brown's stamp sets and I've used Watering Can Archival again.
As there was quite alot of Infusions on my craft sheet I used some Cut 'n' Dry foam to dab some through some sequin waste and did some more stamping with Lin's stamps and Watering Can Archival ink.
I've done some stamping with Infusions on this page, and the sentiment is by Yvonne Blair. I didn't want to obliterate the leaf print so have kept the page simple, which for me is a massive challenge !
The skeleton leaves I used for the leaf sandwiches have been included in the book, slightly coloured by the Infusions. Some more stamping with Infusions using Lin's stamps and the sentiment added using Watering Can Archival. Dipping stamps into Infusions that have already had water added then stamping onto the fabric adds a different depth of the Infusion colour than rubbing the Infusion powder directly to the stamp then spritzing with water. I love both effects !
I stamped the leaves with Fern Green Archival ink on this page, stamping without an acrylic block to give a more random effect. The word is stamped again with Watering Can and I've hand sewn some little beads beneath it.
One final shot to show the little beads that I've hand sewn down the spine of the book.
This project all came about by wondering 'What if...', I hope you can join us for this challenge and challenge yourself to ask 'What if...' and do make sure you hop over to the Stamps and Stencils blog to see the rest of the teams fantastic projects.